Monday, June 27, 2011

Testing, testing....

I want get some new hair products. Since I can't afford to blow $100 on something I hate, I ordered a bunch of samples so I can try out some of the things I'm interested in:
  • Donna Marie Miracurls Curling Jelly
  • Kinky Curly Curling Custard
  • Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly
  • A bunch of Curl Junkie stuff - Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, Curl Queen, and Curls in a Bottle
Since I only wash my hair every three days or so, it's going to take me a while to test them all. I just hope I can get a good feel for them by the 4th of July. I'm anticipating there will be sales, and I want to take advantage of them! Because I like to see what a product can do on its own, I'm trying each with nothing but a leave-in. I can always add something afterward if it's really not happening.
I used the Miracurls Curling Jelly on Friday. It was Stash's birthday, and we were going out. I lo-poo'd and conditioned, then sectioned my hair and added Biotera leave-in, which I'm really starting to like. When I squeezed some product out of the sample bottle, I was surprised; it's much thicker than what I think of as a jelly consistency - more like a cream. And it has strange dark red specks in it, almost like seeds. Since the jelly itself is a red color, it doesn't look as alarming as it sounds. The smell was interesting: sort of coconut and something else.

I applied Miracurls to each section, then made the mistake of experimenting with combing it through with a fine-tooth comb (which someone on NC.com had recommended). Um, no. So I tried the Denman. No again. By now my hair is losing moisture, and scrunching is not producing curl. Bad sign. I'm getting a little nervous now; we don't go out that often, and I like to look good when we do. I'm also running out of time. So I misted it heavily with water to loosen it up and undo what the comb and Denman had done. When I scrunched with my flour sack, the curls reappeared. Disaster averted.

I diffused as usual (placing my hair in the "bowl" and "accordioning" upward towards my scalp). Halfway through I started thinking I had used way too much product (I do tend to be heavy-handed). My hair was crunchy and looked a little greasy. Not to mention that something strange was happening. When I released it to move on to the next section, the ends were wonky. The jelly was making them hard enough to hold the weird position they were in during the "accordion". I've used hard-hold gels, and never had this problem. Not cool.

Interestingly, when my hair was dry the crunch and greasy look disappeared, and my hair was soft. However, the curl formation was pretty random. I had some tight ones, some loose ones, barely wavy bits, and pieces that were downright straight. The back of my head (always my problem area) had nothing going on. A little wave, maybe. I know from experience that the way my hair looks just after diffusing and the way it will look by the time I'm ready to leave the house are often two different things - it needs time to settle in - so I wasn't all that bothered. Still, it was clear it wasn't going to be a great hair day.

It got a little better, but not much. It was pretty straight when I woke up Saturday; on the bright side, it was really soft and didn't feel dry at all.  I spritzed it with my curl reviver spray and scrunched. Meh. I also started to get crunch. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the fault of the DM jelly. I think I put too much agave in the spray this time. The perils of not measuring.

Since my hair really wasn't happening, I decided to take a flyer and scrunch in some of the Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly. Things improved. I diffused, and it was somewhat better. I definitely had more curl in the back than I did on Friday. But I can't say I was happy with my hair, so I pulled the front back with a claw clip and ignored it.

I really wanted to love the Donna Marie Curling Jelly. But I didn't. I don't think it's a terrible product, just not for me. Over all, not impressed. I doubt I will be trying her other products.

The Spiral Solutions, on the other hand, has definite possibilities. That's next on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment